For men and women struggling with substance use disorders or addiction, family therapy may not seem like a priority initially. Yet, as you work through recovery, you need to think about what’s going to happen when you go home. Family counseling can make that transition a bit easier. There are benefits of family therapy for those with conflict in their relationships as well as those who have a strong support system. At Lotus Recovery Centers, our goal is to help you achieve your best outcome through our treatment programs.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a time for you and your loved ones to work together to achieve goals. The type of goals you need to work towards depends on many factors, such as the current relationship you have with family and friends. Family therapy can help you with:
- Educating loved ones about your struggles with substance abuse or mental health issues
- Exploring ways to improve communication with them
- Working through strife and problems
- Educating family about their responsibilities in your recovery
- Ensuring everyone understands your goals
Family therapy is not about placing blame or pointing fingers. There may need to be some time for you to communicate with your family about past problems, but the ultimate goal is to plan for the future. Family counseling allows your loved ones to also embrace what’s happened to them due to your addiction or mental health disorder. They may need to learn how to trust, overcome abuses, or determine if they can continue to be a part of your life. That’s how family therapy can help.
What Are the Benefits of Family Therapy?
When you consider family counseling goals, you can see some of the benefits that can come from this. Some of the benefits of family therapy include:
- Reduces the risk of relapse – Evidence indicates that family counseling can help to minimize your risk of relapsing. Your loved ones will learn how to recognize your triggers and risks so they can help you avoid relapse.
- Repair damage from addiction – Addiction damages more than just the person using. It also creates problems for loved ones, including post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and stress. This can interfere with a loved one’s life as well as his or her emotional wellbeing. Family counseling can reduce these issues.
- Education leads to solutions – A component of family therapy is educating people about addiction, the warning signs, and how to react if they believe you could be at risk. That directly benefits you as the person in need. Yet, education on addiction and mental health disorders benefits everyone struggling with them by helping to reduce stigma.
- Enables new relationships – Sometimes, the old relationships you have can get in the way of new ones. That’s one of the reasons why family counseling becomes so important. It allows you to learn how to communicate and play a positive role in the lives of others. That way, you can build new relationships in the same way.
Is Family Counseling Right for You?
This depends on many factors. Many men and women will find the benefits of embracing family therapy because of the current stress they feel. It may also help you to understand your loved one’s fears and needs as you work on recovery.
Find the Support You Need at Lotus Recovery Centers
Family therapy may be exactly what you need to start rebuilding after recovering from addiction or mental health issues. At Lotus Recovery Centers, our dedicated counselors will work closely with you through family counseling to ensure your best outcome. We want you to embrace all of the benefits of family therapy. To learn more, contact us at 833.922.1615 or reach out to us online for help.