When confronting the possibility of drug addiction, it can sometimes be challenging to know what signs to look out for and how to be sure if what you’re seeing is indeed a drug dependency issue. As a concerned family member or friend, it’s helpful to familiarize yourself with some of the specific signs that indicate a drug addiction.
5 Common Signs of Drug Addiction
There are numerous signs to look for when trying to assess whether an individual is struggling with addiction. A professional assessment is needed to diagnose an addiction properly, but it often takes noticing these signs first to lead to that next step of seeking a professional diagnosis. These are some of the possible characteristics that an individual might display while battling an addiction:
- Intense Cravings: Cravings for a substance can often become so intense that finding the substance disrupts daily life or causes the individual to behave in uncharacteristic ways to obtain their drug.
- Unusual or sudden increase of tolerance: If you’ve noticed a higher amount of the substance is needed to achieve noticeable intoxication effects, it can be a clear sign an unhealthy tolerance has developed.
- Withdrawal symptoms: These are apparent when a person is either trying to attempt detox on their own or has not had access to the substance they are abusing. Symptoms range from physical like tremors and sweating to psychological like irritability and psychosis.
- Unusual or secretive behavior: Often, people will go to great lengths to hide their behavior from family and friends to fear disappointing them, being judged, or forced to confront their drug addiction. Secretive behaviors protect this other aspect of their life. Individuals exhibit odd behaviors or ways of carrying themselves due to prioritizing their drug use. Examples include neglecting their hygiene or modifying their social behavior.
- Risk-taking and poor judgment: Uncharacteristically poor decision-making seeming to appear out of nowhere is a sign of something serious. When an individual is addicted, they may do anything to obtain what their body is craving. This includes risking their life or the lives of others with reckless behaviors and little regard for consequences.
After recognizing signs of drug addiction, it’s necessary to get professional help at a drug treatment center so you can begin the road to recovery as soon as possible.
The Importance of a Drug Addiction Treatment Center for Addiction Recovery
When it’s realized that addiction is likely, finding the proper drug addiction treatment program at an addiction treatment center is the next step. It is crucial to get the recovery process underway as soon as possible. The earlier treatment is offered to a patient, the more likely it will result in a successful, long-lasting recovery.
There are many approaches available to drug addiction rehabilitation, all with their own merits. The one that will work is the one that specifically works for you and fits into your life. It may be necessary to combine multiple treatments to ensure a successful outcome. Drug addiction treatment centers are fully equipped with the tools and training required to know precisely how to approach your addiction treatment while making it as comfortable as possible. Attempting self-detox and treatment is possible, but it is never advisable.
Find Relief From Addiction at Lotus Recovery Centers
If you have begun to recognize signs of addiction in yourself or a family member, it is crucial to take the next step of getting the help that you need as soon as possible. Lotus Recovery Centers are fully prepared to help you and your loved one tackle an addiction. We have numerous treatments and therapy options available to select. Contact Lotus Recovery today at 833.922.1615 to decide which approach is the best fit for you.