Methadone treatment programs, and other forms of medication-assisted treatment, set clients up for a lifetime of recovery. Treatment at our methadone clinic in Delaware includes counseling with experienced therapists. Clients learn and practice emotional regulation skills they can use to build resilience in a sober life.
Therapy at Methadone Detox Centers
Recovering from addiction may be one of the most important life changes you ever make, but it’s not easy. Many people use addictive substances like opioids to cope with painful emotions or problems in their lives. To adjust to sobriety and prevent relapse, people often need to learn new behaviors, and new ways of thinking, in recovery.
At methadone treatment programs, clients attend counseling sessions on an individual or group basis. Counselors may use techniques from cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), an approach that focuses on changing behavior by changing negative thought patterns. As clients examine how their thoughts can be helpful or harmful, they’ll practice healthy ways to cope with stress without dependence on drugs.
Coping Skills You’ll Learn at a Methadone Clinic
1. Cognitive Reframing
Cognitive reframing means, simply, changing the way you think. When you’re stuck in destructive thought patterns, these patterns affect the way you view situations in your life and make it difficult to change your behavior.
Therapy at a methadone treatment program may involve:
- Identifying your automatic thinking habits
- Evaluating these habits to see if they’re helpful, realistic, or accurate
- Investigating the underlying beliefs that frame your thinking
- Challenging negative or harmful thoughts with rational, positive thoughts
- Developing or “reframing” new, productive thought patterns
Thinking differently can help you feel better about yourself, set achievable goals, and relate more easily to others.
2. Identifying Triggers
A “trigger” may be any feeling, event, or situation that causes you emotional distress. In the past you may have used addictive substances to cope with upsetting emotions after being triggered.
Methadone clinic counseling helps you identify potential triggers before they arise, so you can come up with a better plan to deal with them. For instance, you might:
- Role-play to prepare for difficult interactions with others
- Learn self-care and calming techniques to deal with feelings of loneliness, anger, or isolation
- Figure out ways to avoid situations where you’ll be tempted to relapse
- Practice problem-solving skills for tricky scenarios
3. Emotional Regulation
You may experience strong or challenging emotions once you start treatment at a methadone detox center. Addictive drugs can numb your emotions over time, and when you stop using drugs, the feelings may come flooding back.
The work of recovery involves learning to manage uncomfortable emotions while staying sober. You’ll be able to talk through complicated feelings of grief, guilt, or depression with a trained counselor. Some emotional regulation tactics may involve:
- Keeping track of your emotions and responses in a journal
- Building a support network of friends
- Participating in healthy, enjoyable, and rewarding activities
- Practicing basic self-care like sleep and exercise
Understanding and accepting those emotions are a part of life, and learning to harness them in productive ways, can help you succeed in sobriety.
Methadone Clinics at Lotus Recovery Centers
At Lotus Recovery Centers’ methadone clinic in Delaware, recovery is a whole-person project. Clients participate in individual and group therapy sessions while receiving methadone treatment. To help a diverse range of clients, we have a variety of counseling techniques, including:
- Family therapy
- Trauma-focused therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
Our goal is to make sure you have the coping skills you need to thrive in sobriety. Don’t let cost be a barrier to getting help — Lotus Recovery Centers accept Medicaid and private insurance, and we’ll work with you regardless of your budget. Get in touch at [DIRECT] to start your journey.